Our History

Our History

In the late 19th century, a young man, Julius Urbanavicius migrated to America from Lithuania. In response to the Spirit, he entered religious life in the Passionate Order in Scranton, PA. His memories of life in his fatherland. Lithuania were replete with sorrows and suffering of his people who had been plagues by frequent oppression, political dissension and suppression of basic freedoms. Early in the 20th century, many of these poor but God-fearing Lithuanians settled in America, only to be confronted with the misunderstandings and hardships so common to the immigrant. 

Father Alphonsus Maria, CP, saw the suffering Christ in his countrymen as they struggled for survival. Inspired by the suffering of Christ and his people, He founded the Poor Sisters of Jesus Crucified and the Sorrowful Mother in 1924. Father Alphonsus Maria, CP, envisioned this community of women who would serve the poor, widowed, orphaned or homeless and bring hope and consolation through the Cross. 

Extending hearts and hands in loving response

Embodying Christ’s love and sacrifice, the Sisters of Jesus Crucified began dedicating themselves to serving the marginalized in the surrounding towns on Pennsylvania and the congregation began to flourish. Eventually, their ministry expanded to other states. In 1945, the Sisters of Jesus Crucified began a new chapter in their history when they transferred their Motherhouse to its present site in Brockton, Ma. 

Fr. Alphonsus Maria Urban, CP instilled in our Sisters it was not just enough to preach His Love, but to embody it in all our actions and interactions. For over a century the Sisters of Jesus Crucified and the Sorrowful Mother have carried out this mission.